Monday, May 14, 2012

New Mom

I have read Kelly's Korner for quite awhile and linked up to her 'Show Us Your Life' one other time but I really like this topic so I thought I'd link up again. This week SUYL is all about new moms, which I find very appropriate for the week before Mother's Day. Last year I celebrated my "first" Mothers Day with a sweet baby girl living inside of me that I was already the mother of, but this year I get to actually celebrate being a mom of a sweet baby I am able to hold and love on. 
I've wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember. I ALWAYS loved holding the babies and being in the nursery at church and as soon I was allowed to I started babysitting. I probably would have paid the parents to let me babysit instead of being paid if I had to, but of course I didn't tell them that. I became an aunt when I was in high school and I just adored my niece. I would show her picture off to anyone that would look. I went to nursing school to be a nurse and maybe eventually a midwife. My dream is work in pediatrics or the OB, which is proving to be a lot more difficult to get into than I thought it would be.
I got married in June of 2009 and from day one I secretly hoped I'd get pregnant even though we had talked about waiting for at least a year. God knew that waiting that one year wasn't quite enough time and in March of 2011 I found out I was expecting. I was in absolute shock. I figured because I longed to be a mom so much that I would probably struggle with getting pregnant and that I would have to wait a long time, but that wasn't the case and sweet baby Hadley was born on November 1, 2011 plunging me into motherhood. I had always thought I had somewhat of an  idea what being a mom was from babysitting and living with my niece and nephew. I also thought I knew what it was to love someone unconditionally despite what people told me, I thought I knew. I HAD NO CLUE! haha Mother hood is the hardest job I've done (even harder than nursing school at times) but it is also the most rewarding. I never could have imagined the amount of love a baby could bring. 
When Joe and I were dating and talking about the future I remember him telling me that he would want me to stay at home with our kids if it were possible because that is how he was raised. At that time I thought he was completely crazy. I was NOT going to stay at home. I went to school for 4 years and worked hard to earn my nursing degree, there was no way I was going to give all that up just to stay at home. Well little did I know how much I would LOVE to stay home with my baby. Unfortunately at this point we can't afford that but hopefully someday. 
I have learned so much in these short 6 months that I had no clue about before like babies, sleeping, breastfeeding, immunizations, and mostly how selfish I was before. Now, I am still selfish and will probably always struggle with that but there are some things I've had to give up whether I wanted to or not, like sleep, clean clothes, peace and quiet, a clean house but of course like any normal mom I wouldn't trade any of it for my sweet baby girl. I try really hard at night when she is fussing and all I want to do is go to sleep to pray for her and to thanks God for giving my the opportunity to raise her. I try so hard not to ever take that task for granite because I know not every "mom" gets the opportunity to have a baby. 



This Mother's Day as I thank God for the opportunity to be a mom and to celebrate I also thank him for the wonderful Mother and Grandma's. I've learned everything I know from them. I miss my Grandma's like crazy and I wish they were still here to see me as a mom. I also thank God for an awesome Mother in Law who raised my husband to be be who he is. Thanks Mom's!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment