Saturday, March 19, 2011

Nurse


The last few works at work have been pretty miserable long days. The worst feeling as a nurse is going home at night feeling like I haven't done anything for my patients all day, yet I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off all day. The patient load seems to be growing as well as the acuity of the patients. I hate days like that. However, days like that make me SO thankful for days like today in which the day went at a good pace. Busy but not ridiculously busy playing catch up all day, and to top it off a patient that seems to be hard to please let me know that they appreciated me and gave me a cup full of flowers. Things like that remind me that I am making a difference and there are still some people out there who appreciate it. Another thing that makes a HUGE difference in my attitude to help patients is the use of the words please and thank you. Some people have completely forgotten their manners and the worst patients of all can seem nice if they just say please and thank you. I realize a lot of our patients can't do a lot of things for themselves, but I am SO much more willing to help and go above and beyond if they are just grateful for helping them. Something I really hope to remember as I age and anyplace I go. Restaurants, hospital, bank. Any of those people I'm sure would appreciate a touch of kindness. Sorry about my rant but this is what's on my mind tonight as I get ready to go to bed and get up and go to work again in the morning.

2 comments: